Broadlink SP3 is a Smart Plug which has plenty of useful features over the usual plugs. For starters, it can be controlled wirelessly through an app on your smartphone. The app is compatible with both iOS and Android devices which simplifies the control mechanism. There are various smart features like Timer, Night Light, IFTTT etc which makes it a smart choice over any other plug. Also, it is compact and lightweight adding up to a premium build quality. Let’s take a closer look at the Broadlink SP3 along with its smart features.
- The Broadlink SP3 can be controlled by WiFi or Mobile Data (2G/3G).
- Comes with a Night Light built in to help with the low light.
- It can bear up to 1800W Power-rate which makes it an efficient choice for heavy appliances like AC, water heater.
- A small and Portable design which makes it easy to carry and use anywhere.
- Easy installation and set-up process make it simple to use.
- SP3 support six different types of Timers and up to 26 timer tasks.
- App access control which allows you to turn the Plug On/Off when not at home.
- The Smart plug is built using the Fire resistant material which makes safe to use.
- It has a WiFi range of 50m.
- The app can be downloaded by scanning the QR code and is pretty easy to use.
Unboxing the Smart Plug
The Broadlink Smart Plug (SP3) comes in a White and Blue cardboard box. Upfront, the box has an image of the Smart Plug itself along with a smartphone indicating it can be remotely controlled from your phone. Also, there are two small images on the front indicating that the app and device are compatible with both iOS and Android.
Moving to the sides, you can find device specifications like Model, Supported OS, Power Consumption etc and on the opposite side, you can find the key features of the Smart Plug like Real-time control, 26 group of timers etc along with the Customer support number.
On the back, the IFTTT feature is highlighted which is an interaction type. For example, IF Light goes down, Then turn on the Lamp. You can also find the link to the official website on the back, The overall package weighs 240 grams and has 5.51 x 3.54 x 5.51 inches dimensions. Opening the box up, you will only find two things. Firstly, the Broadlink Smart Plug and the other thing is the user manual. Overall, the packaging is pretty neat and clean.
Design and Build
The Broadlink SP3 is designed in a sleek and compact manner which makes it easy to carry and use in tightly spaced areas. It is made of a Fire resistant hard plastic material which makes it easy to use. Also, a premium build quality is important as you are dealing with the electricity here. The smart plug is pretty portable with 3.7 x 1.97 x 3.21 inches dimension along with the weight of just of just 136 grams.
On the front, there is a single socket along with the Nightlight which also doubles as a Button. A single click on the button will turn the Plug On/Off, while the double click on the button will turn the night light On/Off. On the sides, there are some stylish looking vents while on the back is the plug which is used to connect the SP3 to a usual socket.
The Smart Plug has a working humidity range of less than 80% and a working temperature range of 0 to 50 Degree Celsius which make it usable in versatile environments.
Overall, the build quality is premium and the hard plastic will be easily able to survive some accidental falls, though, try it at your own risk. Also, it is not water resistant as it deals with electricity directly, hence, keep wet hands away from it.
Setting Up the SP3
To step up the Broadlink Smartplug SP3, you will need to follow the steps given below.
- Scan the QR code on the package or Visit Here to download and install the app on your Android and iOS smartphone.
- Plug in the Smartplug into a socket and enter the Configuration mode by pressing the button on the front. If the LED light blinks rapidly, you have entered the configuration mode.
- Connect your smartphone to the WiFI and open the e-Control app. Choose the smart plug from the list and enter the WiFI password in the app.
- If you are unable to connect, reset the smart plug by long pressing the button for more than six on the SP3 and try again.
- If the problem still persists, you can contact the Customer service by dialing the number given on the box.
The Broadlink SP3, though a small device, comes with plenty of features and some of the major ones are listed below
Remote Access Control
The Broadlink SP3 can be controlled from anywhere through the app on your iOS or Android. T connects through the WiFi and allows remote access. You can turn it ON/OFF anytime which is pretty impressive. Suppose you are on the way to the office and you forgot to turn off let’s say your laptop charger. If the charger is plugged in the Smartplug, you can use the app on your smartphone to remotely turn the plug off. Now, that’s convenience at its best.
The Broadlink Contros SP3 comes with various Timer features which make is super efficient to use.
- Scheduled Timer- The Broadlink Contros SP3 allows you to set scheduled time at which the device plugged in will turn ON or OFF.
For example, if your AC is plugged in the SP3 plug, you can set the scheduled time to start the AC before you arrived at home or turn off at late night and the AC will turn ON and OFF automatically. Again, super impressive and convenient.
- Ramdom Timer- With this function, you can set a period of time to make it on for a period and off at an exact time.
For example, if you are preparing your coffee in the morning while getting ready, you can plug the Coffee maker in the smart plug and set the random timer to an appropriate time. While you get ready, the coffee maker will prepare the coffee and shut down automatically when the timer runs out.
- There are another two types of Timer too which is called Lap timer and Cycled time which are also very convenient and easy to use.
Power Usage Tracking
The Broadlink Contros is smart enough to track down the power usage of the device plugged in it. This allows the user to find which of the device consumes high amount of electricity. Once you find it, you can plan the use of the device accordingly to reduce the electricity bill in the next cycle.
The Smartplug from the Broadlink also comes with a Nigh light built in it. The light can be turned ON or OFF by double tapping the button on the front. The light can also be turned ON/OFF through the app on the smartphone. Also, the light is pretty powerful illuminating quite a large area which is helpful when you need immediate light in the dark.
The Contros smart plug works with other smart sensor and supports IFTTT functionality. For example, if it is working with the temperature sensor, you can set a condition like if the temperature rises above 30 degrees, then turn on the AC.
This way you can create various “If this, Then that” activities.
Honestly, using the Broadlink Contros SP3 actually changed my life. Well, I am a lazy person and I often forget to turn OFF or turn ON things like chargers, night lights etc. Just last week, I was on my way to work and immediately remembered that I forgot to Turn off my iPhone (which I keep at home most of the time) plugged in for charging. So what I did? I immediately went back and turned it OFF, which was the reason I was late for work that day.
But since the day I got my hands on the Smartplug from Broadlink, everything became so convenient. Since now I can check that if the plug is On or Off and remotely turn it back On or OFF from anywhere, it became easy to manage things. Even if I forget to turn On or Off something and I am at work, I can simply turn the plug On and Off with just my smartphone.
Talking about the various timers available, they are very useful too. You can set when you can the plug to b Turned ON or OFF and without your concern the plug will do it automatically at the right time.
Also, if you have a socket which is like hidden behind the sofa, TV stand, or not in an easy to reach position. You can use the smart plug with that socket and control it manually saving your from performing certain acrobats to reach the power socket. Also, the night light built in the socket is great as it illuminates quite a big area when turned ON which makes it easy to see in the dark like in case of an emergency.
Should You Buy?
ValueQ recommends the Broadlink smart plug to almost everyone who likes to make things easy and convenient. The smart features like remote access control, various types of timers, night light etc, makes it one of the most feature rich smartplug in the budget price
Hece, if you feel like you forget to Turn ON/OFF appliances in your home and looking for a solution to such issue, Broadlink Contros SP3 is the device that you need.